- Megaplex-2100H is a flexible E1/T1 multiplexer
which facilitates the integration of multiple dedicated data, Frame Relay
data, voice, ISDN, video and LAN channels onto TDM (Time Division
Multiplexing), Frame Relay or hybrid main links.
- The Megaplex-2100H's modular design is enhanced
with a wide selection of hub configurations and I/O modules. The
flexibility afforded by using a single system for both TDM and Frame
Relay, which can be enhanced with more modules according to changing
demands, is suited for applications ranging from small campus networks to
multi-site corporate hybrid networks, or extensive carrier access
- For both carriers and multi-site corporations,
Megaplex-2100H facilitates the gradual migration of TDM networks to Frame
Relay networks, utilizing the existing network infrastructure. Since
Megaplex-2100H adheres to standard protocols, central office-based cross
connect units can forward TDM and Frame Relay traffic to the appropriate
Frame Relay switch or TDM cross connect.
- The Megaplex-2100H hubs can support single or dual
E1 or T1 main link configurations (used for load sharing, drop & insert or
ring topologies, etc). Main link modules that support integrated DSU or
CSU/LTU are available, as are link modules for direct connection to fiber
optic cable or HDSL lines.
- Having a single hybrid main link facilitates the
E1/T1 link definition, enabling some of the timeslots to be allocated to
the Frame Relay connection, while the rest of the timeslots are allocated
to the TDM connection.
- Megaplex-2100H encapsulates all its Frame Relay
voice and data channel traffic from various sources using a single DLCI,
thus minimizing service charges over public Frame Relay networks.
Megaplex-2100H is able to send frames to the proper channels by assigning
an "internal" DLCI to each connected channel, which is transparent to the
public Frame Relay network.
- Megaplex-2100H uses Frame Relay+ protocol and
prioritization to integrate data traffic without interfering in voice
transmission quality. Frame Relay+ enables segmenting long data frames, as
not to cause interruptions in delay-sensitive voice transmission. Frame
Relay+ uses standard Frame Relay frames.
- A network consisting of several Megaplex-2100H hubs
can be managed using a single dedicated timeslot carrying multiple DLCIs,
some of which are for management, while others are for any type of
- In addition to PCM, high quality voice compression
using MPMLQ, proprietary RMP-MLQ or P-CELP algorithms is supported,
ensuring maximum efficiency on the main links. For example, by using MPMLQ,
30 voice channels can be compressed down to five timeslots. The remaining
timeslots are left free for other applications such as LAN, SNA and video
- Megaplex-2100H's standards compliance ensures
compatibility with multi-vendor environments worldwide. The E1 and T1 TDM
framing and signaling, PCM voice coding, data interfaces and LAN
internetworking all conform to international standards. Megaplex-2100H
complies with Frame Relay standards LMI, ANSI T1.617 Annex D, ITU-T Q.933
- For additional system reliability, a second common
logic, power supply and main link module can be installed in the MP-2100H
chassis. Redundancy is limited to a second main link module for MP-2104H.
- The compact Megaplex-2104H chassis provides slots
for up to five modules (for one or two main link modules and up to four
- Where more I/O modules are required, additional
Megaplex-2100H units can be cascaded.
HYBRID MAIN LINK MODULES
- To support TDM user applications, Megaplex-2100H
utilizes standard Megaplex-2100 main link and I/O modules.
FRAME RELAY MODULES
- Megaplex-2100H can be managed by a UNIX-based or
PC-based network management system. The software is user-friendly,
GUI-based, and runs under PC/Windows (RADview-PC/WAN) or HP OpenView UNIX
(RADview-HPOV/WAN) systems. In addition, configuration and monitoring is
provided via Telnet or a dumb terminal.
- Network management provides centralized control of
all network nodes, including interface configuration, connection setup,
alarms and management.
- All configuration parameters are user-programmable.
Up to ten independent configuration databases can be created and saved in
a non-volatile memory (NOVRAM). Megaplex-2100H can be set to switch
between configuration databases in case of any network event. This feature
enables alternate routing in case of failure, as well as for adjustment to
different time schedules, work hours, weekends, holidays, etc.
- Alarm status and system configurations are
available at all times. Multiple Megaplex-2100H hubs can be controlled via
a single PC or UNIX workstation.
- Programming and setup of a remote Megaplex-2100H is
- Via timeslot 0 (TS0);
- Through the supervisory port of the remote unit,
over a modem link or over a FRAD;
- Over a full in-band dedicated timeslot (TDM main
- Using a DLCI for management coming through one of
the Frame Relay modules, or carried in one of the timeslots of the
Hybrid main link module.
- Two dedicated ports on the common logic module are
available for management purposes. The first port has a 9-pin DCE
interface. The second management port can be ordered with one of the
- V.24/RS-232 DTE;
- Ethernet 10BaseT (UTP);
- Ethernet 10Base2 (BNC).
- Megaplex-2100H incorporates test features for rapid
fault detection and easy maintenance. Upon power-up, all system and I/O
modules undergo self-testing. Any problem is reported to the management
system. Local and remote loops may be performed on each channel and on the
main links. For voice channels, tone injection is available.
- An internal test pattern generator available on
some I/O modules, allows for on-line testing of individual channels,
without using external test equipment.
- Modular E1/T1 access multiplexer supports both TDM
and Frame Relay networks
- Offers easy migration from a TDM network to a Frame
Relay corporate network
- Supports both copper and fiber interface main links
- PCM, MPMLQ and P-CELP low bit rate compressed voice
(TDM), as well as compressed voice over Frame Relay based on MPMLQ (RMP-MLQ)
- Two chassis types:
- MP-2100H supports up to 12 modules, 4U high
- MP-2104H compact version supports up to five
modules, 2U high
- Different I/O modules enable a variety of network
combinations and can support up to:
- 40 high speed TDM data channels
- 40 high speed Frame Relay data channels
- 60 low speed Frame Relay data channels
- 60 PCM voice channels
- 40 Frame Relay voice ports
- Management through ASCII terminal, or RADview
Network Management System on PC or UNIX (HPOV) platform
- Telnet and TFTP support for Common Logic and Frame
Relay modules software upgrade
- Supports standard management protocols: SLIP, PPP,
PPPHDLC, IP over Frame Relay (RFC 1490) and RIP2
- Redundancy available for power supply, common logic
and main link modules
The Megaplex-2100H system is comprised of a Basic Unit (includes
chassis, hybrid common logic module, power supply and power supply cables),
as well as Main Link and I/O modules which are ordered separately. See
individual module data sheets for module details and ordering information.
4U-high chassis with 12 module slots
2U-high chassis with 5 module slots
System Modules can be ordered separately for redundancy or special
Power Supply Module for MP-2100H chassis
Hybrid Common Logic Module
||Specify power supply voltage:
115 for 115 VAC
230 for 230 VAC
48 for -48 VDC
||Specify for system module redundancy (MP-2100H
R for full (2 x PS, 2 x CL)
RP for partial (2 x PS, 1 x CL)
Default is for 1 x PS, 1 x CL
||Specify RI for built-in ringer
||Specify common logic second management port
(in addition to standard 9-pin DCE port):
UTP for Ethernet 10BaseT (UTP)
BNC for Ethernet 10Base2 (BNC)
Default is for V.24/RS-232 DTE