- Extends serial devices up to 5 miles (8 km) over ordinary
grade twisted pair.
- Miniature size for direct connections to your serial port.
- 2B1Q modulation enhances signal immunity in noisy
environments and increases the distance of RS-232 signals.
- Multiple user-configurable asynchronous and synchronous rate
- Transparently passes RS-232 control signals over the link.
Patton’s Model 1053AS is a long-range powered, digital modem that
operates synchronously or asynchronously at full duplex over a
single twisted pair. The Model 1053AS utilizes 2B1Q modulation for
superior signal strength even in the noisiest environments. RS-232
serial connections with speeds of 128 kbps can now be extended to
distances over 5 miles (8 km) without the use of repeaters! Using
ordinary voice-grade wire, the 1053AS Serial Extender provides a
cost-effective solution for high speed, dedicated end-to-end
connections with synchronous line rates up to 128 kbps and
asynchronous line rates up to 115.2 kbps that include RTS, CTS and
DCD modem signals.
The Model 1053AS modem’s miniature size allows for a direct
connection to your transmission devices serial port. Two
8-position DIP switches are located at the bottom of the unit to
allow the configuration of various asynchronous or synchronous
line rate settings. Additionally, LEDs are conveniently located on
the side of the Model 1053AS to provide at-a-glance status
indication of the unit.
Clocking: Internal, external, or receive recover.
Line Coding: 2B1Q conforming to ANSI T1.601 and ETSI
Line Interface: RJ-45; Two-wire twisted-pair using pins 4 &
5; Transformer coupled 1500 VRMS isolation.
Maximum Line Distance for all Data Rates:
• 10.1 miles (16.4 km) on 19 AWG (0.9 mm) wire
• 7.2 miles (11.5 km) on 22 AWG (0.64 mm) wire
• 5.0 (8 km) on 24 AWG (0.5 mm) wire
• 3.4 (5.5 km) on 26 AWG (0.4 mm) wire
Serial Interface: DB-25 Female or DB-9 Female depending on
Serial Data Rates:
• Synchronous: 32, 56, 64, and 128 kbps
• Asynchronous: 38.4, 57.6, 76.8, and 115.2 kbps
LED Indicators: TXD, RXD, Link, NS (no signal), ER (CRC
Power Supplies: External wall-mount power supply with
universal 90–260 VAC input or -12,-24, and -48 VDC input .
Dimensions: 5.18L x 1.69W x 0.75H in. (13.16L x 4.29W x
Weight: 2.01 lbs. (<1.0 kg)
• FCC Part 15, subpart B, class A (US)
• EMC Directive 89/336/EEC (EU)
• ICES-003 (Canada)
• AZ/NZS 3548 (Australia C-Tick)
• CISPR 22 (International)
• UL 60950/CAN-CSA-C22.2 60950 (Safety—US/Canada)
• EN 60950 (Safety—Europe/International)
• Operating temperature: 32–122°F (0–50°C)
• Humidity: 5–95% non-condensing
• Altitude: 0–15,000 feet (0–4,572 meters)