- Extends serial devices up to 5 miles (8 km) over ordinary
grade twisted pair.
- Miniature size for direct connections to your serial port.
- 2B1Q modulation enhances signal immunity in noisy
environments and increases the distance of RS-232 signals.
- Multiple user-configurable asynchronous and synchronous rate
- Transparently passes RS-232 control signals over the link.
Patton’s Model 1052AS is a long-range powered, RS-232 digital
modem. Operating synchronously or asynchronously at full duplex
over a single twisted pair, the Model 1052AS uses 2B1Q modulation
for superior signal strength even in noisiest environments. RS-232
serial connections can now be extended to distances over 5 miles
(8 km) without the use of repeaters! Using ordinary voice-grade
wire, the 1052AS RS-232 Serial Extender provides a cost-effective
solution for dedicated end-to-end connections with synchronous
line rates up to 128 kbps and asynchronous line rates up to 38.4
kbps including RTS, CTS and DCD modem signals.
The miniature size of the Model 1052AS allows for a direct
connection to your transmission devices serial port. LEDs are
conveniently located on the side of the Model 1052AS to provide
at-a-glance status indication of the unit. Additionally, two
8-position dip switches are located at the bottom of the unit to
allow the configuration of various asynchronous or synchronous
line rate settings.
Clocking: Internal, external, or receive recover.
Line Coding: 2B1Q conforming to ANSI T1.601 and ETSI
Line Interface: RJ-45; Two-wire twisted-pair using pins 4 &
5; Transformer coupled 1500 VRMS isolation.
Maximum Line Distance for all Data Rates:
• 10.1 miles (16.4 km) on 19 AWG (0.9 mm) wire
• 7.2 miles (11.5 km) on 22 AWG (0.64 mm) wire
• 5.0 (8 km) on 24 AWG (0.5 mm) wire
• 3.4 (5.5 km) on 26 AWG (0.4 mm) wire
Serial Interface: DB-25 Female or DB-9 Female depending on
Serial Data Rates:
• Synchronous: 32, 56, 64, and 128 kbps
• Asynchronous: 0-–38.4 kbps.
LED Indicators: TXD, RXD, Link, NS (no signal), ER (CRC
Power Supplies: External wall-mount power supply with
universal 90–260 VAC input or -12,-24, and -48 VDC input .
Dimensions: 5.18L x 1.69W x 0.75H in. (13.16L x 4.29W x
Weight: 2.01 lbs. (<1.0 kg)
• FCC Part 15, subpart B, class A (US)
• EMC Directive 89/336/EEC (EU)
• ICES-003 (Canada)
• AZ/NZS 3548 (Australia C-Tick)
• CISPR 22 (International)
• UL 60950/CAN-CSA-C22.2 60950 (Safety—US/Canada)
• EN 60950 (Safety—Europe/International)
• Operating temperature: 32–122°F (0–50°C)
• Humidity: 5–95% non-condensing
• Altitude: 0–15,000 feet (0–4,572 meters)